In the late 11th century the town belonged to the duchy of Brabant, from 1357-1406 to the county of Flanders, from 1430 to the duchy of Burgundy, from 1482 to the house of Habsburg. Diocese of Cambrai until 1559.
For a long period it was a flourishing town with much trade and business, thanks to its location near the Schelde river. Though the first half of the 16th century was its golden era, during the second half of the 16th century this all came to an end, when, during the revolt of the protestant Netherlands against catholic Spain, the city was conquered by the Spanish in 1585. Many sympathizing with the protestants fled to the north.
|Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk, chapter church, from 1559 onwards cathedral|
|Michielsabdij, premonstratensian abbey|
|Walburgiskerk, parish church; disbanded, no manuscripts left|
Ms SA-CT G 6 b 12, Office book, 16th century, may have belonged to Augustinians in Antwerpen.
|Berchem, Willibrorduskerk, parish church|