Premonstratensian abbey, in the diocese of Cambrai (Anal.Praem. 44 (1968), p. 317). Founded 1130 by Lord Giselbertus of Castelré, who donated a piece of land for the building of a monastery. Its mother abbey was the Michielsabdij in Antwerpen.
In the Middle Ages the abbey was called 'Monasterium beate Marie de Tungerlo'. At present it is dedicated to Our Lady's Assumption.
Since 1617 the abbey keeps the relics of St. Siardus, abbot of the abbey of Mariëngaard in Frisia, who died in 1230.
Among the parishes served by Tongerlo was the parish of the Sulpitiuskerk in Diest.
The manuscripts (liturgical and non-liturgical) of the abbey that are now kept in the Albertina are summed up in Mon. Belge VIII, p. 271, note 90. A survey that includes manuscripts in other libraries is in R. van Waefelghem: Répertoire ..., pp. 294-297 (nr. 656).
|B-Br 11396, Graduale, 14th century, with younger additions, used in Tongerlo Abdij|
|GB-Lbl Add. 15426-15427, psalter-antiphoner in two volumes, 1522|
|Antifonarium Tsgrooten, antiphoner, 1522|
|L.C. Van Dyck: De abdij van Tongerlo|
|Monasticon Belge VIII, pp. 263-375|
|Kaartboek van de Abdij Tongerlo 1665-1794 (Brussel, ARA, 2001), a.o. information on the parishes served by Tongerlo (pp. 14-15 for a list)|
Catalogue: Corthouts: Inventaris van de handschriften ... te Tongerlo.
The abbey possesses some books of the premonstratensian women's convent Besloten Hof in Herentals:
|B-TONGLna V 326, Graduale-Sequentiarium, 1559|
|B-TONGLna V 327, Graduale, 1559|
|B-TONGLna V 328, Graduale, 16th century, with younger additions|
In addition there are some fragments and some manuscripts from the 17th and 18th centuries. Some of the fragments contain part of the office for Sulpitius (Saints in Brabant, pp. 14-20, 35-36).