's Hertogenbosch: St. Jan
Parish church, later on chapter church, dedicated to St John Evangelist. Originally it was the first parish church of 's Hertogenbosch. Building of the church started early 13th century; the chapter was founded in 1366. Construction of the gothic church started in 1380. In 1561 the church was raised to cathedral.
During ca 1560-1590 the bishops of the diocese 's Hertogenbosch were the abbots of the premonstratensian abbey of Tongerlo.
From the 2nd half of the 16th century 's Hertogenbosch had to cope with the religious troubles. In 1566 the town suffered of the iconoclastic fury (Beeldenstorm). In 1629 the city was conquered by Prince Frederik Hendrik and St. Jan fell into protestant hands. In the 19th century the catholic religion was restored in the Netherlands and the church became a catholic cathedral again.
Two liturgical manuscripts predating 1629 are known from this chapter:
|NL-SHsj 216-1, Intonation book, 15th century or ca 1500|
|NL-SHsj 216-2, Graduale-Sequentiarium, ca 1530|
In addition, one liturgical imprint is known: Festorum compositorum Ecclesie collegiate sancti Ioannis Apostoli & Euangeliste in Buscoducis pars Hyemalis F-Pfm Rés. B 7881.
|J. Mosmans: De St. Janskerk te 's Hertogenbosch, nieuwe geschiedenis ('s-Hertogenbosch 1931) (and some more publications of Mosmans)|
|J. van Oudheusden: De Sint Jan van 's-Hertogenbosch; with photographs of E. van Mackelenbergh (Zwolle 1985)|
The Illustre Lieve Vrouwe Broederschap was a famous Confraternity, possessing a large amount of music, among which polyphony as well as chant.
The chant manuscripts of the Broederschap are listed as nrs. 66-71 from the Catalogus van Van der Does de Bije (see below). Most of the books are since 1999 in the Rijksarchief Noord-Brabant in Den Bosch; some of them are still in the Zwanenbroedershuis. Microfilms of most manuscripts are kept in the Letterenbibliotheek Utrecht.
|NL-SHra IllLVrBr 65, Psalterium, impressum Parisiis apud Henricum Stephani, anno 1509 (imprint)|
|NL-SHra IllLVrBr 66, liturgy for the dead (both mass and office), late 15th or early 16th century|
|NL-SHra IllLVrBr 67, Choir book for both mass and office, late 15th or early 16th century|
|NL-SHra IllLVrBr 68, intonation book for both mass and office, 1560|
|NL-SHra IllLVrBr 69, Laudes de Sancta Cruce, 16th century|
|NL-SHra IllLVrBr 70, calendar, ferial office and liturgy for the dead; 16th century|
|NL-SHra IllLVrBr 71, choir book for the office and liturgy for the dead, 16th century|
Besides, there is the NL-SHra
IllLVrBr Codex Smijers, the most famous chant manuscript of the
Confraternity, containing both chant and polyphony. This book is not
mentioned in the catalogue of 1874.
There is also a fragment.
|P.J. van der Does de Bije: Catalogus van het archief der Illustre Lieve Vrouwe Broederschap te 's-Hertogenbosch (1874)|
|G.C.M. van Dijck: De Bossche optimaten. Bijdragen tot de geschiedenis van het zuiden van Nederland XXVII (Tilburg 1973)|
|Gregoriaans in laatmiddeleeuws 's-Hertogenbosch|
|Roelvink: Gegeven den sangeren (2002)|