Benedictine abbey; founded ca 1000 at Amersfoort; moved to Utrecht, raised to abbey and dedicated to St Paul under bishop Bernold (1027-1054); part of the Utrecht Cross of Churches.
The abbey went over to the Bursfeld congregation in 1496. It was disbanded during the religious troubles in the last quarter of the 16th century.
Many of its manuscripts, especially of its liturgical manuscripts, have been lost.
Only one music manuscript of this abbey is known to have (partly) survived: some leaves of a mid 12th century Antiphoner. NL-Uu 425 is a 15th century breviary (texts only).
In Hesberts CAO V, Trèves, Univ., ms. 124 (siglum 869 in CAO) is mentioned as a 15th century breviary from the Paulusabdij.
|Handschriften en Oude Drukken van de Utrechtse Universiteitsbibl., pp. 80-97|